Out of the Past
125 Years Ago
Aug. 10, 1893
Mr. Tobias Berry is the possessor of a highly prized memento in the form of a handsome medal presented to him at the Gettysburg veterans reunion July 1-3, the occasion being the 30th anniversary of the battle.
All wishing to attend the World’s Fair in Chicago should be sure and do so on Western New York Day, Aug. 23.
It will not be long before the great 5,000 horsepower turbines that are to have a place in the big tunnel wheel pit will be shipped to Niagara Falls.
100 Years Ago
Aug. 8, 1918
Urgent instructions have been received by newspaper publishers, requesting them to cut down on the consumption of print paper. They have further been ordered to discontinue all free papers and in every manner possible conserve the material. Notice is hereby given to our readers that their subscriptions must be paid if they want their papers continued.
Old Home Day arrangements are rapidly being completed. The program will begin at 3 p.m. sharp and the Williamsville Band will give one of its fine concerts early in the evening.
Mr. and Mrs. Harry H. Pratt and family have returned from their motor trip.
Willis U. Dumanois, for many years a well-known resident of Williamsville, passed away on Friday, August 2, 1918. For a number of years, he was in a partnership with his brother Joseph in a grocery and later a coal business at Michigan and William streets, Buffalo.
Stephen P. Dunton of Penn Yan has been named as the official clock winder for that village.
The price of bread has been boosted by a cent and a half in Hornell.
Nelson Mount Pleasant of the Tuscarora Indian Reservation near Sanborn has enlisted in the U.S. Army and reported for duty Aug. 1. Upwards of two dozen Indians from this reservation are now in the nation’s military service.
Gen. Pershing has been given the Grand Cross of the Legion of Honor.
75 Years Ago
Aug. 12, 1943
Abandoned rails of the old street car line on Main Street between Williamsville and Buffalo will be removed.
Frank Sugg, age 81, who had the distinction of operating a threshing outfit in the farming section of this area for over 50 years, died Sunday, Aug. 8, 1943. In years past, Mr. Sugg was active in organizing the Williamsville Band.
Vandalism in Ellicott Creek may result in it being closed. Oakgrove Drive residents report their victory gardens damaged.
50 Years Ago
Aug. 7, 1968
Bonnie Elliott was crowned queen of the Amherst Sesquicentennial at ceremonies last night at Williamsville High School.
Calvin J. Murphy, Niagara University basketball star, will be the grand marshal at Saturday’s mammoth Sesquicentennial parade. The parade will start at the Erie County Technical Institute and end at Main and North Long.
Charles C. Lewis, 70, a Federal Market manager for many years, died Wednesday, July 31, 1968. He moved here in 1941, managing the University Plaza office in Amherst.
Although the Erie County Fair is 129 years old, this will mark the 100th year that it has been at its present site in Hamburg.
Richard Diana of Amherst has been appointed sales officer of the Midland Charge Plan by the Marine Midland Trust Co.
25 Years Ago
Aug. 10, 1993
There were no smoke detectors to awaken an Exeter Road resident to a garage fire Sunday morning that spread to his home. Instead, he was roused by banging noises as two autos were consumed by fire.
Kirsten Milbrath has been named to the State Office of the Aging’s Older Americans Act Advisory Committee.